Tuesday, August 21, 2007

08/21/07 - Xterra Mountain Championships

Score: Xterra Mountain Championship bike course - 1 Mike Starck- 0.

After racing in Ogden last year, I figured I knew what was ahead of me – I was wrong. The rainstorm that came through the night before had passed and left a beautiful, crisp morning. Water temps were in the upper 60’s and the swim leg went great, exiting the water with a few of the pros. The rainstorm also left the bike course in perfect condition – nice and tacky, no dust. It also left the wooden bridges and stairs, nice and slick. And unbeknownst to me, the bike course had changed. It put a hurting to me – 19 miles of mostly singletrack with over 3,000 ft. of climbing. At about mile 15 I realized I hadn’t eaten enough food and started to hit the wall. I managed to limp into T2. I squeezed down another Enervit gel and started the ascent of the ski hill for the run leg. I managed to finish a respectable 9th of 28 in the age group but a bit disappointed for petering out. My buddy and I hopped in the car, bought an espresso shake, and headed back to the Front Range. Nothing like an 8 hr drive after a 3 hr 20min race. Note: Ogden may not be on everyone’s top 10 list of outdoor destinations but, after racing there 2 years in a row, it should be. The town welcomes outdoor enthusiasts and has a Boulder-ish feel, being laid back and situated up against the mountains. They are also hosting some world championships there this winter.

- Mike Starck

No comments: