Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pain in the Dust

Tonight's short track was quite the scene. I showed up early for some warm-up laps in an effort to familiarize myself with the course. Fortunately (or not) some of the course was the same from last week. After a few laps and dizzying crash, I seriously considered not racing. But when I rolled up to the start line, the BSV high took over and I was compelled to suffer with everyone else. Grace and I lined up front and center, with our friend Dash squeezing in between us. It's all about position for the start, or so I've been told (time and time again). thirteen. eleven. seven. five. three. one. GO!!!! We're off. Grace in front and myself in third, establishing BSV as the top hole shot contender. I eventually moved into second before blowing up and moving backwards to twenty second. So, as I mentioned earlier, it's all about the start. Watching the start to the B and A races definitely reinforces the importance of the start, as both of these included a cluster-eff, downed bikers, and cyclocross impersonators. For the next 8 weeks, I have to learn the balance between winning the hole shot and not blowing up.

No comments: